THE BOOK PROVIDES:
- Recommendations and best practices for how to avoid simple but potentially dangerous mistakes which can lead to harm, injury or chaos.
- An instructional resource with relevant examples from current events, including step-by-step methods using practical and vital tips for effective and safe interaction.
- Explanations and the characteristics of a variety of disabilities and other special needs, such as physical, mental, psychological, as well as other factors that may require a specialized response. From Autism to Alzheimer’s and Dementia, Mental Illness to Drug Addiction, Deaf and Hearing Impaired to Blind and Visually Impaired, Learning Disabilities, Orthopedic Impairments, and difficult Breathing Issues, it’s all covered.
- Appropriate terminology and explanations of the federal laws and guidelines that must be followed to ensure compliance and an important review of the appropriate terminology related to special needs.
- Specially designed interviewing techniques and strategies to use when interacting with persons with special needs, including specific and comprehensive guidance for interviews, confessions andMiranda; obtaining consent to search; and report writing.
- As an added learning bonus, a critical summary of KEY POINTS is included at the end of each chapter to help facilitate learning, increase understanding and strengthen retention.