Written by Dr. Jones, Lt. (Ret.) and Deputy Chief (Ret.) Blackledge, Law Enforcement Leadership, Management & Supervision provides a robust mix of theory and practical application for current and aspiring sergeants, lieutenants - and those who aspire to higher command. Jones and Blackledge include best practices, along with illustrative case examples and self-assessments.
What’s included in this edition?
- Best practices for critical operational functions
- Self-awareness: The first step toward good leadership
- How to motivate – not alienate -- while engaging your team
- Leadership – Followership Synergy: The secret weapon to improved satisfaction and performance
- Understanding and prioritizing supervisor and mid-manger duties
- Understand how all humans are wired, cognitively, for mental shortcuts and bias
- Recognize the value and leverage the diversity of thought and experiences in agencies
- Communication skills: How to listen and communicate toward effective influence
- Understanding team dynamics and recognize, and avoid, critical points of failure
- Preparing for promotion and navigating promotional processes
- Recognizing the power of networking and “currency” and reality of influence
- Officer Wellness and Development: The critical keys to taking care of people and retention
- Creating and maintaining a positive relationship with your community
- Managing policies, procedures, accreditation, and avoiding pitfalls